Desert Cliffs was developed by UDC Homes and consists of 177 homes. In 1997, not long after the community’s introduction, pricing began at $249,990 for the #6040 plan and went as high as $297,990 for the #6090 plan.
There were eight different models available with 5 single story plans and 3 two story homes ranging in size from 2,392 square feet to 3,924 square feet. Each model was offered in three different exterior “elevations” and also had a number of customizable exterior options that added variety to the community’s appearance.
This cozy gated community is surrounded by a desert oasis with recreational walking & jogging trails. It boasts beautiful mountain views to the north and east with the addition of city light views to the south. UDC also built Eagle Ridge which is located on the north side of McDowell Mountain Ranch Road.
About the Builder
Tempe based UDC Homes entered the Phoenix market in 1992 and built extensively in North Scottsdale through 1998 when they were ultimately acquired by Shea Homes. Among their other projects in the area was MMR’s own Eagle Ridge community and, interestingly enough, some of their more popular “Desert Ridge” floor plans can also be found at Sonoran Fairways.
Shea Homes is a division of the privately held Shea Company which started out as a spall plumbing company in 1881 in Portland, Oregon. In fact, for the past 130+ years Shea has been one of the most respected names in the construction industry having built it’s business on a tradition of excellence, integrity, and substance. Over the years they have helped to build such engineering icons as the Golden Gate Bridge, Hoover Dam, and San Francisco’s BART System.
Today, John Shea, grandson of the company’s founder, is still actively involved in managing the family business that has now evolved into one of the largest builders in the country. The company asserts that its success is based on a philosophy that includes outstanding customer service and providing quality at a good value.
Shea Homes was named America’s Best Builder in 2005 by Builder Magazine, 2007 Builder of the Year by Professional Builder and 2011 and 2012 JD Power and Associates Customer Service Champion.
Desert Cliffs offered eight different single and two-story models that ranged in size from 2,392 to 3,924 square feet with optional floor plan variations for each model. There were 5 single story homes and 3 two story models, all of which included a 3 car garage as a standard feature.
The #6040 plan offered 2,392 square feet with 4 bedrooms & 2 baths. It was a split floor plan with a combination living and dining room as well as a family room. There was an option to convert the 2nd bedroom into a den.
The #6020 was a split bedroom plan that offered 2,447 square feet. This 3 bedroom, 2 bath single story great room plan had an option to convert the 2nd bedroom into a den or media room.
The #6050 was a single story split plan and offered 2,609 square feet. It included 4 bedrooms and 2 baths and a formal living room as well as a family room. There was an option to convert the 2nd bedroom into a den.
The #6060 plan was a single story split floor plan offering 2,675 square feet. This model included 3 bedrooms plus a den and 2.5 baths. There was also an option to convert the den into a 4th bedroom.
The #6504 single story model offered 3,176 square feet. The floor plan included 4 bedrooms with a sitting room off of the master, 2.5 baths and a flex room leading to the other bedrooms that could have been used as a study or game room.
The #6080 two-story home offered 3,469 square feet and had 5 bedrooms plus a loft, with the master bedroom located on the 1st floor. There were 2 1/2 baths with an option for a third. A balcony was also an option.
The #6085 floor plan was a two story model with 3,445 square feet. This home offered 4 bedrooms, a bonus room and 3 full baths. The 4th bedroom was located on the 1st floor in addition to the bonus room. The upstairs loft could have been enclosed to convert it into a retreat.
The #6090 two-story floor plan offered 3,924 square feet and had 5 bedrooms with one located on the 1st level. It also had 3 full baths and a loft. Optional features included added baths, a 6th bedroom, a media room and an exercise studio off of the master.
The builder, UDC Homes, indicated in their sales documents that the following features were common to all homes the community. However, many items have, in fact, been upgraded or changed by the current owners. Therefore, potential buyers are always advised to verify any information that is material to their interests and might affect their decision to purchase a property in this community.
- Choice of distinctive exterior elevations
- Color-thru tile roofs
- Custom stucco eaves
- Finished 3 car garages
- Garage door opener
- Large covered patios with outdoor lighting Access sleeve under driveway for landscaping
- Smoke detectors included in all bedrooms Copper wiring (110 circuit)
- 00 Amp electrical service panel
- Copper plumbing throughout home
- 4 TV and 4 telephone outlets
- 3 outdoor hose bibs
- Luxurious broom-finished walkways
- Keyless garage door entry (10 key)
- Coach lights at garage
- Pre-wired for security system
- Front yard landscaping with irrigation system
- Dramatic 10-foot ceiling heights (per plan)
- Spacious second floor ceiling heights of 9-feet
- Elegant ceramic tile foyers
- Plush wall to wall carpeting
- Easy care vinyl flooring in kitchen, baths and utility rooms
- Architecturally sculpted niches and pot shelves
- Spacious bay windows in breakfast nooks
- Custom hand-trowel texture on ceilings & walls
- Rounded drywall corners (except windows)
- Raised two-panel interior doors
- Polished brass door levers by schlage
- Designer 8-foot stained wood front entry doors
- White decora rocker light switches
- Spacious closets and storage areas
- Convenient laundry sink and cabinets
- Recessed light fixtures in kitchen
- Stained wood stair railings and spindles fireplace
- Choice of raised panel cabinets with choice of stain
- Gourmet kitchen island work station (per plan)
- Durable, elegant Corian countertops
- KitchenAid ceramic top cooktop with down draft
- KitchenAid dishwasher with stainless steel interior
- Kitchen Aid 30″ oven/microwave combination
- Spacious pantries for extra storage
- Two compartment cast iron sink with sprayer
- Quality Price Pfister faucets
- Deluxe disposal
- Water line for ice maker
Energy Saving Features
- Energy efficient gas furnace
- Energy efficient 50 gallon gas water heater
- Energy efficient tinted, dual-paned windows
- Energy efficient, ground-mounted 10-seer A/C units
- Energy saving R-30 attic insulation in livable areas
- Water saving plumbing fixtures
- Pre-wired for ceiling fans in a choice of four rooms with two switches per room
- Spacious covered patios along the back
This page contains a number of maps that may be helpful in understanding more about this community.
The map on the top left shows where in McDowell Mountain Ranch the community is located. Just to the right of that is an aerial view provided by the digital map center of the city of Scottsdale which should provide you with an interesting perspective on the community. The last two are an actual street map and the builder’s original site plan. Click to enlarge maps.